Saturday, April 3, 2010

45 Cute Minutes

April 8th is Coming!  To most of the world this is just an ordinary day, but to me it's a day where God looks down and judges whether or not I'm an effective missionary.  Okay,  I know that's not true, but that's the thought that slips into my mind as the Performing Arts Academy Parents' and Performance Night draws closer.  We had a dress rehearsal this past Thursday, and boy was that rough! Yes, people say a bad dress rehearsal means a good performance, but I think some one just made that up so I can sleep better at night.  To tell you the truth it hasn't been working.  I wake up in the middle of the night think what do I need to do tomorrow, pray for some of the kids, and read a comic book until I fall back asleep.   One might ask, "What's the big deal?"  Well, I (by the grace of God and help from great volunteers) run the Performing Arts Academy, and on April 8th the academy has their big shindig performance.

Right now the performance is looking like this: some really talented young singers, cute elementary art students, a middle and high school acting class that is so great (when they choose to be), an improv troupe that call themselves "The Unfulfilled Awesomes", and 18 little girls that don't know their lines.  The part about 18 little girls that don't know their lines is the part that makes me toss and turn at night.  At the dress rehearsal their short ten minute play took them 45 minutes to get through.  Albeit they were very cute for those 45 minutes, one can only take so much.

After the dress rehearsal I was exhausted.  I turned to my wife and said, "If only they could memorize their lines like they do the Bible studies."  Then it hit me; I just said, "If only they could memorize their lines like they do the Bible studies."  The young girls had been learning a lot this semester, and what stuck is much more important than their lines.  What stuck is their relationship with God.

Sometimes I can get stuck, stuck on what I think is important.  Those are the times when I am thankful for God's gracious priority checks, even if it comes in the form of 18 little girls standing quietly on the stage.

Prayer Requests:

  • The 18 little girls (and their lines).
  • Praise and continued prayer for a student who was in Jail and now is in a half way house.
  • Summer Program and the students that will be involved
  • April 8th 
    • Parents to come and support their kids
    • Students to use their talents to glorify God
    • Me and my priorities
Galatians 5:6

2 comments:

  1. We are praying for you and Laura. If the kids know their Bible verses, you got your answer... You are an effective missionary! May He bless you all on the 8th.

    ReplyDelete