Monday, March 9, 2009

"Hoopty"

Highlights in brief:
  • I am Carlo
  • I am Rorschach
  • I drive a "hoopty"
  • Daylight Savings Time

A lot can happen in one week. In fact a lot happens every week, but this week did not disappoint. This week I will start off with the Performing Arts story of the week

PAA Story of the Week:

So after choir on Tuesday nights I usually take a few kids back to their homes. This usually entails several younglings anxiously ready to get home, and every week is a different experience. I have taken kids home, who have not realized they lost their key to their house and had to wait for their Mom to get off work, kids who think it's hilarious to give me directions to their house first leading me in the complete opposite direction before guiding me back through dark, skinny alleys. My favorite happened this past week when upon seeing my car one student moaned, "Aww man, I gotta ride in 'at, you got a hooptie." Later looked up hooptie on urbandictionary.com to find hooptie means, "A piece of junk* car." (For those of you that don't know my car is a 1990 Dodge Dynasty and is huge blessing to me, even though the ceiling is sagging, the odometer stopped working, the airbag doesn't work, and it takes two people to open the hood.) I know my car is old and may in fact be a "Hoopty", but I never thought an Urban Impact student would be embarrassed to ride in it. Despite the jabs at my beloved car the rides home also provide some great time to get to know the kids a little bit more. Even if some of that time is spent driving in the complete wrong direction of their house.

*junk was not the word used by urbandictionary.com

---

Other exciting news. I signed with a talent agency called "The Talent Group". This came after a series of events/major blessings the latest of which was an instructional video for EDMC, Education Management Corporation. I played Carlo a minor leauge baseball player. He had damaged his knee running into a player and now worries and slows down while running the bases. I spilled my guts and deepest fears of never making it to the majors to my "Psychologist" (A man named Tom who played the real estate agent in The Mothman Prophecies). This has all been a whirl wind, but most of all it has been a tremendous blessing.

Besides playing Carlo I also had a brief stint playing Rorschach from the Watchmen. By playing I mean dressed up in a costume to go see the movie, and I say brief because I was asked to take off the mask. Although the true Rorschach would have probably broken one of the managers fingers, I instead gruffly said "Someone's pickin' off costume heroes..." He didn't really get it so I said "okay" and went to the car and took off the costume.

All in all it was a busy week. The PAA is going very well and Laura and I continually excited about the progress of the students. We are now working on our scenes and short plays for the Parents' Night on April 23rd. You are all welcome to come that night to see these very talented younglings.

Prayer Requests:

  • Building deeper relationships with the students
  • PAA Bible Study this week (I am leading it)
  • To continue to walk through the doors God has opened form me.

I thank you all for your continued prayers, and when I invited you to the parents night I really meant it. If you are interested let me know.

eric

1 comment:

  1. Great that you dressed up at Rorschach... too bad that you had to take off the costume.

    I appreciate the use of the term "younglings."

    And most of all, I am encouraged by the ministry you are having with this kids, and I will pray for you and Laura in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete