Friday, February 27, 2009

I can never think of good titles

After a busy January and February Laura and I looked forward to a more relaxed March. Of course now March has almost completely filled, and it hasn't even started yet. This being said it was a huge blessing that I did not have to go to Hope College this weekend, giving Laura and I our first free weekend of 2009.
If you have been following the blog you know I was supposed to chaperon one of the U.I. students to an audition at Hope College because his mom was unable to take off the weekend. Don't worry the student still attended the audition, in fact he is there right now, but I didn't have chaperon because Hope College is great. The college said as long as we got him on the plane they would take care of all the rest, so they picked him up from the airport, arranged a college tour, got him to the audition, etc. I know he arrived safely last night, but I have not heard anything about his audition. I will post again any news I hear.
Also updating from last blog I had a wonderful time going back to Muskingum. I had some very encouraging support meetings as well as some unplanned but just as encouraging run-ins. It was wonderful to see so many of my friends I hold so dear and to catch up with the latest in the "Long Magenta Line". I had an eventful night spent at the REAL house (the men's christian house) where I felt right at home. The next day before heading back to Pittsburgh I stopped in on a Fish Out of Water improv rehearsal where it was great to see so many new faces. Laura and I hope to go back soon because one day in Skangum' in never enough.
In other news Laura and I have both been asked to take part in the Pittsburgh SWAN (Support Women Artists Now) festival. SWAN day is an international annual event on the last Saturday of March, Women's History Month. All sorts of activities supporting women artists take place in cities around world. This will be Pittsburgh's first year participating, and No Name Players will present and evening of plays, poetry, dance, music, and film all by local women artists. Laura and I have been asked to act in two of the short plays performed at the event.

PAA Story of the Week

Praise God, this week was a great week in the Performing Arts Academy. The high school students auditioned for the parent's night, the middle school class blew me away with their open scenes, and the elementary kids are starting to catch on to projection and diction. Although each of these classes had some praise worthy moments the story of the week comes from the brand new improv class we just started this week.
The improv class is made up of high school students and is designed to let them have fun playing games while secretly helping them gain confidence and create great public speaking and acting skills. Well... that's what it's supposed to do. So last night we started to play a game called Freeze where a lot of little scenes are created by to actors improving a scene and another troupe member yelling out "Freeze" and replacing one of the actors on stage and beginning a completely new scene. Surprisingly the high schoolers picked up on this really well and created some great little scenes. Everything was going along pretty well, and I was enjoying the scenes.
Then a scene starts with, "Oh no, your the baby's Daddy." and very quickly escalates into nothing comedic but a very loud argument. (Keep in mind I know this is acting because both of the actors on stage are female and are not anyone baby's Daddy). All the students erupt in the room like something off of Jerry Springer a few of them cheering and a few of them yelling "Freeze", but they don't hear them and keep on going. And boy they were really getting into it. All the while I am sitting there watching this partially impressed by the realism in the scene but mostly scared stiff thinking, "Oh God, what do I do with this... We are going to get kicked out of the church... Someone in the lobby is going to call the police... I am going to get fired from being a missionary." Luckily the actors finally froze and I took a moment to teach a brief lesson about controling and focusing your energy. They actually responded really well to this, and I am excited to see how the troupe will mature over the next few weeks.

Prayer Requests:

  • Student's Hope College Audition
  • Support Raising
  • Urban Impact Singers

Thank you all for your prayers!

eric

No comments:

Post a Comment